Friday 13 January 2012

A Touch Of Freedom


For me, holidays rime with relaxation, fun, sleep but also READING! I always take this chance to catch up on books that I try strongly to read during the work days.... You know how when you come home from work, the last thing you want to do is to open a book as the TV and all its shows sound much more easy.. And even if you finally do open the book, you know how after 5 pages you are already fighting sleep or already thinking about the thousands things you have to do? Does that ring a bell? Well, for my part, even though reading is just about one of the only ways I find to really disconnect (by that I mean when I read, to be able to understand the story I must really be concentrated on only that, as on the contrary when watching TV your thoughts can easily go thousands places..) I find it hard to do it intensively during the work days, that is why although I try and do read books during the week and I enjoy even more reading on holidays... I always take a few books with me and today wished to talk to you about a book I read called "Freedom" by Jonathan Franzen.

First of all, do not be afraid by the number of pages, around 700, they do fly very quick! With "Freedom" you enter the world of a family, the Berglund, following them through their successes, disapointments, relationship troubles, desillusions, frustrations, joys and inner thoughts. As a matter of fact, the point of view of the narration changes throughout the book, giving us insight in all the important protagonists' minds, emphasizing on how there always is few sides to a same story, and how events can be lived differentely by each individuals who are part in them . As a great variety of feelings are mentioned throughout the events marking this family, one can very easily relate to one or few of them making that book quite realisitc it its essence. The central character is Patty Berglund, the mother, that we start following at the beginning of her adolescence in order to be able to understand some of her future choices and reactions... We are build by how we got brought up and this book is quite a good illustration of that!

Anyway, if you are willing to embark on a enrishing journey, this book is for you!

No comments: